CES and THE Show 2011 - Las Vegas, USA
- Written by Doug Schneider Doug Schneider
- Parent Category: CES and THE Show 2011 CES and THE Show 2011
- Created: 08 January 2011 08 January 2011
We'd just finished presenting the crew from Ayre Acoustics with the 2010 Product of the Year award in the electronics category for the MX-R mono amplifiers and KX-R preamplifier when we noticed the new VX-R stereo amplifier, which is sure to be a hit with audiophiles worldwide.
The VX-R is based on the MX-R's circuit design and has a similar, gorgeous chassis that's been machined out of a solid block of aluminum. The workmanship is flawless, and we particularly like the way they've carved in the heatsinks. Our entire team agreed: screw the sonic benefits that might be had from such a solid beast, it looks plain great.
Whereas an MX-R can crank out 300W, the VX-R is rated to deliver 200W from both its channels. For some, that might seem like a substantial difference in power. In reality, it's not that much since 200W is a helluva lot -- more than enough to drive most speakers to insanely loud levels. A pair of MX-Rs cost about 18 grand, the VX-R about 15. More than likely, the guy who buys the VX-R won't have chosen it to save money, since they cost close to the same; rather, he'll get it because he wants a single-chassis, space-saving design, but doesn't want to give up quality.
We're hot for this new Ayre product mostly because of what the MX-R and KX-R achieved. They won our top prize in 2010, and that gives us great confidence that the VX-R is also going to be a fine product. So if you’re in the market for a state-of-the-art, high-power, gorgeous, beautifully built stereo power amplifier, Ayre's new VX-R should be at the top of your shopping list.
Publisher and Founder, The SoundStage! Network
Most-Read Articles on Global
- KEF's Killer Compact Monitor: The LS50
- Vitus Audio Masterpiece MP-L201 Preamplifier and Masterpiece MP-M201 Monoblock Amplifiers
- Super Speakers: Results
- More Magico, Less Money: The S5 Loudspeaker
- CES 2015: Competition is Fierce
- Awful Avalon
- The Perfect Power Amp -- Ayre Acoustics' New VX-5
- Glorious Giyas: Vivid Audio's New G3
- The Limited-Edition Tribute: Near-Perfect Paradigm
- Hegel: 10 to 11 for 0
- TWBAS 2012 Introduction from Las Vegas (Video)
- WideaLab Aurender S10 Music Server
- Wadia’s 321 Decoding Computer: An Affordable Exercise in Style and Substance
- Building the Qs: Part Two
- My Three Favorite DACs at CES 2012