High End 2023 - Munich, Germany
- Written by Jason Thorpe Jason Thorpe
- Parent Category: Shows-Events Shows-Events
- Created: 17 May 2023 17 May 2023
High End 2023 Introduction: Like a Magpie to a Shiny Stone
Have you ever looked in the window of a bar and watched people dancing? Without hearing the music? It’s creepy to watch, sort of like human versions of those weird-ass birds of paradise you see on nature shows, doing nutty dances while the female bird watches intently from a nearby twig. We’re not far removed from the simpler animals. We build fences to protect our territory from intruders. We dress up and work out to attract mates.
And when a juicy Italian sports car goes by on the street, it’s natural for your head to swivel and check it out. Shiny. Loud. We humans seem to have a built-in, genetic attraction to such technological marvels.
Is it over before it even starts?
The world of audio is where a specialized subspecies of magpie hangs out. We’re a granfalloon of Goonies who are attracted to audio gear and the sounds it makes. It’s about the reproduction of music, sure, but it’s really, really about the shiny equipment.
We all need hobbies. Without hobbies, we work and then sleep. It’s no life without some sort of specialized interest. Some people read, some exercise, some collect stamps. You and me? We build an audio system or two and then spend time using it to play music. It’s a noble pursuit, I tell myself.
A jet-lagged Doug Schneider
And now I’m here in Munich, Germany, set to examine what’s arguably the largest audio tradeshow in the world, and inarguably the most important. Doug Schneider and I are headquartered at the Marriott Courtyard Munich City Center, which is quite close to downtown.
It’s a colorful area, and I’ve already staked out what I think is the best shawarma restaurant in this neck of the woods.
Too much food
Munich is a delightful city full of beautiful architecture, and it’s very easy to get around. The pastries are phenomenal, and they’re everywhere!
A great coffee and a jammy dodger
I’ve had a wonderful dinner to wash down the jet lag, and I’m getting settled for the start of the show tomorrow.
I’m going to let my inner magpie go nuts. I’m going to let myself be dragged into whatever rooms have the craziest, nuttiest systems, and I’m going to share them with you. For the most part, it’ll be an extravaganza of excess, although I’m certainly not going to overlook products that offer exceptional value. I’m gonna hunt for One-Eyed Willie’s rich stuff, while Doug Schneider, who’s also covering the show, is going to track down the new products and let you know about the new news.
Senior Editor, SoundStage!
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- Montreal Audiofest 2023 Product Coverage: Bryston, Simaudio, Totem Acoustic, Luxman
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: Nagra, Wilson Audio, and Siltech Shoot Sparks out of Jason Thorpe
- Montreal Audiofest 2023 Product Coverage: Fonica International, Diptyque, GoldenEar, Angela-Gilbert Yeung, Heaven 11
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: They Have a Robot!
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: Canadian-Sensation Stable 33.33
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: A Flurry of MartinLogans
- Audio Show East 2023
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: About PS Audio and Fence-Sharing
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: Keeping It Real
- High End 2023 Listening Session: Rockport Technologies and Absolare—Fly to the Moon in Luxury
- High End 2023 Product Coverage: Gryphon Audio Designs Diablo 333 Integrated Amplifier
- Thom’s Top Turntables Today
- Making Acquaintances with Kharma’s Elegance dB7-S Loudspeakers
- New Noise #8: Audio Oopsies
- High End 2023 Product Coverage: Sonus Faber Stradivari G2 Loudspeaker