High End 2022 - Munich, Germany
- Written by Jonathan Gorse Jonathan Gorse
- Parent Category: Shows-Events Shows-Events
- Created: 21 May 2022 21 May 2022
Approximate system cost: €250,000.
SME debuted its flagship SME Model 60 turntable, paired with the immense Avantgarde Trio active loudspeaker system to deliver a powerful sound with incredible levels of detail and precision. That wonderful, breathy quality of the saxophone; the subtle nuance of brushed drums in the hands of a master percussionist; and the metallic shimmer of a struck cymbal reinforced the feeling that one was in the presence of greatness. This didn’t feel like listening to a recording; it had all the visceral thrill and vitality of a live performance in an auditorium. The SME Model 60 is the stuff of dreams, a magical creation from the greatest turntable and tonearm engineers of them all. Watch SoundStage! Ultra for the upcoming review.
Senior Contributor, SoundStage!
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- The Needle and the Damage Done: Mobile Fidelity's DSD Scandal
- Return of a Legend: Upgrading with the Paradigm Monitor SE 8000F Loudspeakers
- MoFi . . . Just Another Record
- The DALI Kore Loudspeaker Experience: To Copenhagen and Beyond
- Denmark’s DALI Expands Its Global Hi-Fi Reach—Factory Tour and Observations
- Mobile Fidelity and Walking Through the Vinyl Jungle
- The Joys of DIY Audio
- The UK in SoCal for the Bowers & Wilkins 700 Series 3 Launch—Looking and Listening
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Headphones, Part 2
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Earphones
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Headphones, Part 1
- Michi On a Budget?: Celebrating 60 Years of Rotel With the Diamond Series RA-6000 Integrated Amplifier-DAC and DT-6000 DAC/CD Transport