High End 2018 - Munich, Germany
- Written by Al Griffin Al Griffin
- Parent Category: High End 2018 High End 2018
- Created: 12 May 2018 12 May 2018
Marantz is using the occasion of High End 2018 to release its new SA-KI Ruby SACD player and PM-KI Ruby integrated amplifier. The KI in there stands for Ken Ishiwata, the company’s brand ambassador, who is celebrating his 40th anniversary with Marantz (hence, the Ruby designation).
An audiophile and engineer with extraordinary fashion sense, Ken has been involved with the design process for many Marantz components. Models with KI’s imprimatur get special attention, however, and many go on to become collector’s items.
The SA-KI Ruby SACD player plays SACDs, CDs, and data discs containing high-resolution audio files. It also features a USB Type-B port for a computer connection, and its DAC can handle up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD256 files. All PCM signals are converted to the DSD format using Marantz Musical Mastering, a process that involves filtering, oversampling, noise shaping, and dithering.
Accompanying the new SACD player is the PM-KI Ruby integrated amplifier, which is rated to deliver 100Wpc into 8 ohms or 200Wpc into 4 ohms. The PM-KI Ruby features a high-performance built-in moving-magnet / moving-coil phono preamp and a heavy-duty aluminum front panel and chassis. Both units feature Ishiwata’s signature on the front, of course, alongside an embedded ruby. They are expected to cost €4000 each when released.
Senior Editor, SoundStage!
Most-Read Articles on Global
- CES 2015: Competition is Fierce
- KEF's Killer Compact Monitor: The LS50
- Vitus Audio Masterpiece MP-L201 Preamplifier and Masterpiece MP-M201 Monoblock Amplifiers
- Super Speakers: Results
- More Magico, Less Money: The S5 Loudspeaker
- Awful Avalon
- The Perfect Power Amp -- Ayre Acoustics' New VX-5
- The Limited-Edition Tribute: Near-Perfect Paradigm
- Cyrus Audio: A Little Philosophy
- Glorious Giyas: Vivid Audio's New G3
- WideaLab Aurender S10 Music Server
- Hegel: 10 to 11 for 0
- TWBAS 2012 Introduction from Las Vegas (Video)
- Wadia’s 321 Decoding Computer: An Affordable Exercise in Style and Substance
- Building the Qs: Part Two