CES and THE Show 2011 - Las Vegas, USA
- Written by Doug Schneider Doug Schneider
- Parent Category: CES and THE Show 2011 CES and THE Show 2011
- Created: 09 January 2011 09 January 2011
There's a well-known saying: What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. We now have another one: What you buy in Vegas will be many times as expensive in Vegas.
People talk about the good ol' days of Vegas when food was cheap and hotels were almost free. Those days are long gone, but it's not just the hotels and food that are expensive these days; everything is. Check out some of these prices at the Venetian hotel:
Super-tiny Crest tootpaste: $3. Minature Scope: $8.
Cheapo Bic razors: $15-$19.
Crappy coffee: $3.50.
Gelato: $8. Jeff Fritz obviously isn't happy about it.
On to other matters. Is seeing Pauly Shore considered a "celebrity sighting" anymore? Is seeing him at the Adult Entertainment Expo (AEE) that's held next door newsworthy to anyone, even TMZ?
How about Ron Jeremy? But is seeing him at AEE even surprising to anyone? Compared to Pauly, mind you, this guy certainly had a lengthy career. Fame is fleeting.
Fellow writer Jason Thorpe came up with a new term for Las Vegas: The Disneyfication of sleaze.
Finally, this might be newsworthy for some: Jason Thorpe and Roger Kanno tried to eat 1.5 pounds of smoked meat. This is one of the few places in the world you can attempt such a feat. They didn't succeed, but, reportedly, they also didn't feel the need to eat for the next two days. Atkins would have loved them.
Publisher and Founder, The SoundStage! Network
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- Magico M9 Loudspeakers: No Compromises Allowed
- Acoustic Revive's New Audio Cables and Accessories Use Rare Mineral Found Only in Japan
- Moving on up with Siltech's New Classic Legend Cables
- From Monitor Audio Studio to Gold 100 Loudspeakers: Part 1
- From Monitor Audio Studio to Gold 100 Loudspeakers: Part 2
- Unboxing the Rotel A11 Tribute
- A Surprise Live Musical Event with Les 9 de Montréal
- Audeze's CRBN: An Actual Game-Changer in High-End Headphones?
- From Monitor Audio Studio to Gold 100 Loudspeakers: Part 3
- From Monitor Audio Studio to Gold 100 Loudspeakers: Part 4
- Heal Our Land—The Concert